VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The fifth-ranked Salisbury University baseball team used four pitchers to toss a combined one-hitter, making quick work of the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins, 6-0, on Wednesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gulls did all their scoring in the third and fourth innings. Jacob Ference led off the third with a walk and took second on a passed ball, and Brandon Bonesteel drew his own free pass as Ference was caught stealing third.
- Jimmy Adkins singled to put two men on, then both runners advanced on a wild pitch. After Justin Meekins was hit by a pitch to load the bases, Luke Weddell poked a single through the right side, scoring Bonesteel and Adkins to put Salisbury up 2-0.
- Salisbury stayed hot at the plate in the fourth. Stephen Rice laced a one-out double down the right-field line, then Kavi Caster and Ference each took a pitch off the body load the bases. Two batters later, Adkins became the third straight Sea Gull to be hit by the pitch, forcing in another run.
- A throwing error by the Marlin catcher allowed Caster to score, then Meekins found a hole on the left side for a single to plate Ference and Adkins and put Salisbury up 6-0.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Jackson Balzan, Brock Hilligoss, Corey Burton and Clayton Dwyer combined to one-hit VWU on just 115 pitches. Balzan (1-0) started the game and gave up the only hit – a first-inning single – while walking none and striking out five.
- Hilligoss came in next and tossed two scoreless innings with one walk and a strikeout. Burton issued one walk and struck out one in a scoreless seventh.
- Dwyer finished the final two innings, punching out one to help the Sea Gulls get out of town in just 2:34.
- Justin Meekins went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a stolen base at the top of the lineup. Jimmy Adkins contributed mightily from the nine-hole, going 3-for-3 with two runs and a stolen base.
- Luke Weddell made the most of a start at third base, driving in a pair.
- The win was Salisbury's second straight against Virginia Wesleyan. The Sea Gulls throttled the Marlins 22-4 last Wednesday at Sea Gull Baseball Stadium and swept the pair of games in a combined 28-4 effort.
VIRGINIA WESLEYAN GAME NOTES
- C.J. Morris (0-1) took the loss for the Marlins, allowing two runs on three hits in three innings of work.
- Tyriq Campbell managed VWU's only hit of the day, an infield single to short with two outs in the first inning.
- Salisbury's Saturday doubleheader against No. 8 Rowan was canceled on Monday. The Sea Gulls are back in action on Tuesday, March 16, as they play host to Penn State-Abington.
- First pitch from Sea Gull Baseball Stadium is slated for 3 p.m. with coverage beginning on the Sea Gull Sports Network (SGSN) at 2:45 p.m.