SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 10 Salisbury University baseball team hosted Stevenson University on Wednesday afternoon and came alive late to defeat the Mustangs, 11-2.
Final Score: Salisbury 11, Stevenson 2
Records: Salisbury (7-3) | Stevenson (7-5)
Location: Sea Gull Baseball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mustangs scored the first run of the game in the top of the first inning. After Alex Kidwiler tripled to left field with one out, teammate Billy McAdam recorded a sacrifice fly to left field to score Kidwiler from third for the 1-0 lead.
- Salisbury tied the game in the bottom half of the inning. With runners on the corners, Stevenson starting pitcher Zach Kaye was called for a balk, advancing Justin Meekins home from third to make it 1-1.
- The Sea Gulls went ahead in the bottom of the fifth inning when Meekins hit a sacrifice fly to right field with no outs, sending Jimmy Adkins home from third. They added another run in the next at-bat when Cameron Hyder smacked an RBI single into left field to drive Matt Padeway home from third for the 3-1 lead.
- The maroon and gold scored five more runs in the sixth inning, including an Adkins two-RBI double to left field to kick off the rally. Meekins and Hyder each drew a pair of bases-loaded walks in the frame to add two more runs before a Stephen Rice sacrifice fly to right field capped the rally, extending the Salisbury lead to 8-1.
- Stevenson got a run back in the top of the seventh inning on a solo home run to straightaway center field by Tommy Holcomb, making it 8-2.
- Salisbury finished the afternoon with three more runs in the bottom half of the seventh. A sacrifice fly by Brandon Bonesteel with no outs send teammate Nate Yoder home from third for the first run. The next run came on a throwing error by the Stevenson shortstop that allowed Brad Haas to advance home from second base. The inning was capped with a Padeway RBI single into the left center field gap, scoring Adkins from second base and leading to the eventual 11-2 Sea Gull victory.
- Jimmy Adkins led the team offensively with three runs and two RBI while going 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Cameron Hyder also went 2-for-3 on the afternoon with two RBI, two walks, and a stolen base.
- Justin Meekins collected a hit, a bases-loaded walk, a sacrifice fly and a stolen base while driving home two runs and scoring another along the way.
- Starting pitcher Clayton Dwyer pitched four innings while striking out two batters and allowing one earned run in the no-decision.
- Jason McDonough (1-0) was credited with the win, tossing 2 2/3 innings in relief while allowing only two hits and one run.