SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 13 Salisbury University baseball team opened its season on Saturday, defeating Gwynedd Mercy at Sea Gull Baseball Stadium, 19-1.
Final Score: Salisbury 19, Gwynedd Mercy 1
Records: Salisbury (1-0) | Gwynedd Mercy (0-1)
Location: Sea Gull Baseball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury didn't wait long to get into the run column, scoring a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning. Justin Meekins tripled to right field, scoring Brad Haas from first base. Meekins scored three at-bats later when Jimmy Adkins reached first on a throwing error by the Gwynedd Mercy Shortstop.
- The Sea Gulls added another run in the second inning, this time on a one-out single by Cameron Hyder that scored Stephen Rice from third base.
- Another fielding error in the third inning allowed for Christian Murphy to score a run from second base, bring the lead to 4-0.
- Matt Padeway knocked a triple to left center field, scoring Brandon Bonesteel from first base in the fifth inning to up the lead to 5-0.
- After the Griffins scored a run in the top of the sixth, the Sea Gulls went on a tear in the bottom half of the inning. Salisbury scored six more runs including a solo home run over the right center field wall from Adkins to open the lead to 11-1.
- Salisbury wasn't done yet, however, driving in another six runs in the seventh inning. Three of the runs came on a bases-clearing double by pinch-hitter Brady O'Neil in his first at-bat as a Sea Gull.
- The maroon and gold finished the afternoon with two more runs in the eighth inning. With two out and two men on, Trent Saunders reached safely on another fielding error – this time to on a line drive to right field – allowing Troy Miller to come around and score from second base. Joe Doherty drove O'Neil home in the next at-bat on an infield single to third base to cap off the scoring and a 19-1 victory.
- Salisbury starting pitcher Clayton Dwyer (1-0) picked up his first victory of the year, pitching 5 1/3 strong innings, allowing only one run on five hits, and striking out five batters.
- Cameron Hyder led the team with three RBI, going 3-for-4 at the plate, drawing a walk and scoring one run. Hyder also swiped a team-leading three bases.
- Brady O'Neil matched with three RBI of his own while adding a walk and two runs.
- Justin Meekins went 2-for-3, adding two RBI, two walks, two runs, and a stolen base.